About Us

In April 2013, I arrived in Milwaukie, Oregon after spending 3.5 years on the mission field in Northern Baja Mexico. Soon I discovered God's purpose in bringing me to Oregon...the homeless community.

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Passing of Our Good Friend Buddy

It's been a difficult few days. Last Friday as we were visiting with the team from GVCC, I was called outside to find our dear Buddy (David's dog of 8 years) lying on the ground not able to move. He had been chained in the front of our house and a truck drove over his chain and apparently pulled so hard that his neck was fractured in two places.

DJ offered the services of a vet in Rosarito, so we drove him there through much fog and winding roads. The vet gave Buddy some pain killers and a tranquilizer. We had to bring him back the next day for xrays. After we saw clearly how badly he was hurt and the pain he was in we knew he had to be put down. Needless to say, Saturday was one of the hardest days we've had as a family in a long time.

Saturday, David didn't do much visiting with our GVCC Family. He was too sad. But our friends did pray for him before we left for the vet and he did want to see the guys from Green Valley just after we returned with the sad news. As a Mom, I was so grateful to have the guys from church available for David. Again I was reminded that God is never surprised or caught off guard. He knew we would need our church family to get us through a very difficult time.

On Sunday, we all went to church services in a small church in Ensenda. It was so far out that I was surprised to see the people attending. Most of them had to walk to get there. When I arrived, my GVCC family was pointing at me and saying something to the pastor about me. The next thing I knew I was being asked to play the keyboard for their service. I was delighted to help out. Brian DeCamp joined me on guitar. It seemed that by the time the service was over, Brian and I had not only served to accompany the worship leader, but we had become an illustration for the pastor's sermon. He talked how every week he comes and sees the keyboard, the guitar, the bass and the drums sitting on the platform with no one to play them. He challenged the congregation to service with the gifts God had given them and talked about the gift of service. While I was sitting in the service all I could think about was how God never wastes anything. The songs that we played I had learned the words to either when I was a little girl or in our KSA at church when it had a Spanish theme. God is so good.

Today, our friends from church left. It was hard to see them go, but I'm so confident that I will keep seeing them throughout are stay here that it made it a little easier. Never have I had friends before that are so given over to serve. It is amazing. They smile and laugh as they work themselves close to exhaustion. Their strength so clearly comes from the joy of knowing Jesus. Even with all the hard physical work they did at Casa de Maria they came bringing gifts of things I needed so much. They even painted my bedroom and fixed my shower faucet!

Yes, GVCC has a way about them that makes people scratch their head and say "What is with these people, that they keep giving and serving. And why are they so happy about it anyhow? What's up with that?" I am look forward to hearing the good things that are still to come from their example of what it means to love God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your STRENGTH.

What a diverse weekend. What an amazing God we serve.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robin, so sorry to hear about buddy :( we will keep praying for you guys, especially David.

    Donna and i will be visiting for a couple days in mid Oct. look forward to seeing you then. Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. Wonder full blog. Are you interested in a career in welding? There are schools that will provide Welding Training in almost every city. The information is free and you can request from multiple schools to see which one suits your need. Thanks for sharing.....learn to weld Jacobs Run Md

    ReplyDelete