About Us

In April 2013, I arrived in Milwaukie, Oregon after spending 3.5 years on the mission field in Northern Baja Mexico. Soon I discovered God's purpose in bringing me to Oregon...the homeless community.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Breakfast Anyone?

This morning I got up at 4:30am (for those of you who know me well, I have to be pretty excited about something to get up that early). At 5am I was off to Tijuana to help serve breakfast to about 82 children. These precious kids live in shacks on top of what used to be a dump. They come to the church dressed in their uniforms that they are required to have or they can't go to school. They well mannered and appreciative. Some bring their baby siblings and make sure that they have breakfast and some families even come. Nothing is required of them. It's just encouragement to keep in school and to let them know that God sees them and cares deeply for them.

I learned today it takes about $50 a day to feed all of these kids. Today they had milk, beans, corn tortillas, and eggs with hotdogs. I'm told they couldn't serve them breakfast for about 2 weeks because there was no money coming in to support the purchase of food. It's not for a lack of help, it's only a lack of funds.

I also spent part of the day teaching some rhythm to the children. The biggest turn out for participation is about age 5 - 8. It's a lot of fun. They call me Maestra (teacher) or Miga (short for Amiga). It's hard to get them to stop chanting my name so I can teach them. Surprisingly, some of the most active boys can be attentive when they are involved with music.

In my devotions today, I found it interesting how God continues to get me to try and focus on what His will is for me in the moment. I leave you with this quote from my favorite author "Oswald Chambers". "the goal of the missionary is to do God's will, not to be useful or to win the lost. a missionary is useful and he does win the lost, but that is not his goal. His goal is to do the will of his Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment