About Us

In April 2013, I arrived in Milwaukie, Oregon after spending 3.5 years on the mission field in Northern Baja Mexico. Soon I discovered God's purpose in bringing me to Oregon...the homeless community.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Discipling Your Children for Missions

"I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." John 13:15-17

Usually, when thinking of this verse, I remember the humble act of Jesus washing the disciples feet. Today I am struck by the thought of the example to His disciples by deed and not by words alone. Knowing that my kids are my disciples, makes me choose how I serve, how I respond to others (when being treated like a servant) and to take initiative to serve. Am I showing them how to serve or telling how they should serve?

Growing up in a family where Christ was at the center, I can give many examples of my parents serving others and can think of none of being told to serve others. From giving of their time and money to gathering the family to drop everything to join together in prayer for a phoned in prayer request; my mind is flooded with countless examples of service.

My hope and prayer as we prepare to go to Door of Faith Orphanage is that my kids will someday go on mission with their families. I hope that I can leave them the legacy that my parents have left me. "Follow me as I follow Christ."

Perhaps the saying "Actions speak louder than words." originated with Jesus washing His disciples feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment